Action items in the proposed bill include:
• Placing an immediate moratorium on the construction and expansion of CAFOs
• Phasing out CAFOs by 2040
• Providing a voluntary buyout and transition funding for farmers who want to exit CAFO operations
• Holding corporate integrators responsible for pollution and other harm caused by CAFOs
• Strengthening the Packers and Stockyards Act to ensure fair contracts and treatment of farmers
• Restoring mandatory Country of Origin Labeling for beef and pork and expanding it to dairy products
• Prohibiting the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) from labeling imported meat as products of the U.S.A.
While the proposed bill has the support of animal rights, environmental, and sustainability groups, some organizations within agriculture do not feel the same way. For instance, the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association labeled the act as “misguided.”
This article appeared in the August 2021 issue of Journal of Nutrient Management on page 5. Not a subscriber? Click to get the print magazine.